Seed Savers Exchange Forum

Go Back   Seed Savers Exchange Forum > Gardening > Vegetables, Fruits & Other Edibles

Notices

Old 12-28-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
Marie
Zone 7

Exclamation Winter garden in Virginia - what to do?

I have recently moved to VA. We have finally settled into a home and I want to get some gardening started. I was thinking about planting chard and radishes, maybe lettuce and spinach. Is it too late to plant them here? Any other ideas for me? Also, I know rosemary is an evergreen, but is it ok to plant it now or is there a better time?

I have time to plan for the spring, but I need to get a winter garden going ASAP. Almost everyone in my family has special dietary needs so we try to offset the extra cost by growing some of our own food - that is why I would like to get something in the ground.

Thanks so much! Everyone here gives great advice.... one day I might be the advice giver, but in the meantime I really appreciate the help.

Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
dcarch

Marie,

I am in Zone 6 NY, so I can't give you much suggestions. I think arugula, cabbage family may do well in your area. If you have a cold frame you can grow much more.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Marie
Zone 7

Unfortunately we do not have a cold frame - yet. It is in my plans for next year. Oddly enough it seems that I am in the same growing zone here in VA as I was in OK. It is much more humid here though, so I am sure I will need to make adjustments for that. I am already projecting the herb garden will take a serious dive Oh well. I have tried googling winter garden Virginia, etc. but still haven't really found anything. I am going to try to find my books but in the meantime all suggestions are welcome.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
almostaphantom

Where are you in Virginia? That makes a difference. I'm on the Eastern Shore. December is too late to plant anything. Winter garden is started in August or July. I usually plant broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, kohlrabi, radishes, carrots, turnips, rutabagas, turnip greens. I start the plants in pots on the deck in July and direct sow the rest in August. You will be able to start spring garden soon though. I'm going to plant some leeks inside at the end of January.
almostaphantom is offline   Reply With Quote