Seed Savers Exchange Forum

Go Back   Seed Savers Exchange Forum > Gardening > Soil, Mulch & Compost

Notices

Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
Ezzrider

Default Horse manure weight??

How much does horse manure weigh - approximately. The reason I am asking is I dropped off my trailer which is 6 1/2' x 12' x 2' sides at a nearby horse stable to be filled with manure for me to compost (free manure). My trailer is a single 3500 lb axle with a recommended load weight of about 2,000 lbs. My trailer would have 156 cubic feet of loadable space 6.5 x 12 x 2 = 156 if loaded up to the 2' sides. It is not being loaded over the 2' sides. What would 156 cubic feet of horse manure weigh? There will be some stall bedding in the manure (wood shavings). I will have no problems pulling the trailer as I have a F250 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel truck and I have less than 10 miles to tow. My concern is will I be overloading the trailer? Anyone have input? Did I mention it has been raining so the manure will be a little wet.
Ezzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
reubenT

loose out of a stable probably quite light, but the more rained on the heavier it gets. And that much would really be heavy sopping wet. But I wouldn't be too concerned about a moderate overload with only 10 miles to go as long as the tires arn't rotten and the weather isn't seriously hot. Since overheating the tires is the main concern. If the tires look half flat under the load and start feeling too hot after a short time just go slower. I have hauled some really heavy loads of logs on ordinary 15" vehicle tires without issue where they look half flat even with 5 psi over pressure in them. But only going 15 miles and not too fast.
reubenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
SeattleJohn

Water is very heavy (62.5 lbs/cuft), much more than your logs (else wood wouldn't float). If the manure was dry when loaded, tarp it to keep the weight down during the trip.

Don't forget, "towing capacity", is a two-dimensional calculation: How much weight your engine can pull, AND how much weight your brakes can STOP. Better safe than sorry.
SeattleJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #4
ironpoorer

Originally posted by Ezzrider:
How much does horse manure weigh - approximately. The reason I am asking is I dropped off my trailer which is 6 1/2' x 12' x 2' sides at a nearby horse stable to be filled with manure for me to compost (free manure). My trailer is a single 3500 lb axle with a recommended load weight of about 2,000 lbs. My trailer would have 156 cubic feet of loadable space 6.5 x 12 x 2 = 156 if loaded up to the 2' sides. It is not being loaded over the 2' sides. What would 156 cubic feet of horse manure weigh? There will be some stall bedding in the manure (wood shavings). I will have no problems pulling the trailer as I have a F250 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel truck and I have less than 10 miles to tow. My concern is will I be overloading the trailer? Anyone have input? Did I mention it has been raining so the manure will be a little wet.

Google is your friend:

Maunure weight

1200-1700 lbs/cu yard, or about 44.4-62.9 lbs/cu ft

156 cu ft of it would weigh a lot more than you say your trailer is rated for (almost 10,000 lbs max) assuming everything is correct

Of course, I never was too good at math, and I am only on my 1st cup of joe this morning- so double check me.
ironpoorer is offline   Reply With Quote