Seed Savers Exchange Forum

Go Back   Seed Savers Exchange Forum > Gardening > Seed Saving

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Walk
Homesteader

Default Seed Saving Equipment & Supplies

I think it would be a good idea if SSE sold basic seed saving equipment and supplies, such as screens in various mesh sizes, envelopes, maybe even small hand-operated threshing devices for those with somewhat bigger harvests. I have a few 1' squares of an assortment of stainless steel screens, but would like to get some perforated round or oblong-holed sifters for crops such as flax. Fanning mill manufacturers have many screen sizes available, but they are too big and costly for small-scale seed savers.

Anyone else out there looking for these tools?
Walk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
garnetmoth
Zone 6A OH PL K

That sounds great! I don't save many kinds of seeds, but this year things like Basil seed have been a bit annoying (light seeds, can't really get the chaff off without losing seed)- for seeds like salad burnet, I just blew the chaff off while swirling in a steep sided bowl. Worked OK, I guess.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
blueadzuki

Originally posted by garnetmoth:
That sounds great! I don't save many kinds of seeds, but this year things like Basil seed have been a bit annoying (light seeds, can't really get the chaff off without losing seed)- for seeds like salad burnet, I just blew the chaff off while swirling in a steep sided bowl. Worked OK, I guess.
One thing I have found can work for basil, get an old (but clean) sweatsock. Pour the seedheads into it (make sure they are really dry, roll it around in your palms for 10 minutes, then pour it out. The hulls generally get caught in the little loops of the inside fabric while the smoother seed doesn't.
blueadzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
americanmutt
Zone 5a

I was just looking through the Horizon herb catalog and they sell a set of 8 screens for $179.50 + $25 for shipping. That's too much for me. I am also looking at making some drying screens for peppers and such.
americanmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #5
Sam_I_Am
NJ DO C

Personnly, I would love to be able to purchase some non-makeshift seed saving stuff.....just not at the price that americanmutt mentioned.....at ~$200, I will keep to my makeshift methods....

Chris
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #6
Raymondo
From paddock to plate

I cleaned all my seeds by hand until this year - from artichoke to zucchini. I bought a sieve set for $AU40 with three mesh sizes (2mm, 5mm & 7mm) and it makes cleaning some of the smaller stuff so much easier.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
WI_HO_C

I can't vouch for their products, since I have not ordered from them (yet) but Seedburo carries an extensive line of professional screens. Might be worth a phone call.
http://www.seedburo.com/cur_cat/085.pdf

They sell professional seed handling equipment, so for a seed saver that wanted to go pro, they carry pretty much anything you might need.
WI_HO_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ

I save a lot of seeds annually. One of the very best packaging methods for long term storage is using heat-sealable foil barrier packets. They are impervious to both moisture and air. They can also be heat-sealed shut, cut open and resealed easily, many times over.

I had bought a good quantity from Seed Savers Exchange a few years ago but ran out when I was packing up seeds this past autumn.

I checked both the back of the 2009 catalog and the website to reorder more and I couldn't find any listed for sale. I called SSE to inquire and the woman that answered the phone confirmed that they no longer sold them. I asked why an organization that promoted saving seeds stopped selling the supplies to do so. She agreed, took my telephone number and said she would look into it.

About a month ago, I received a phone call from the woman that I had spoken to previously. She said she was calling back to let me know that they decided to again carry the foil barrier packets and that they could be ordered from their website.

Click here if you're interested in ordering them

Thank you Seed Savers Exchange, for listening to your members!
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
Raymondo
From paddock to plate

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...2,2200&p=33264 has a few sifters that someone might find useful. I bought the Riddle, at an exorbitant price I might add ...
Old 02-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
colt

I also am looking for screen material, not constructed screens because I can do that. I just want the various size screening material. But also would like to know how to find info on what size mesh holes to use for various seed. Any one know?
colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #11
Alice

Default Seed Cleaning Screens

I bought a set of 5 screens, 12" x 12", plain, unframed stainless steel mesh many years ago from the old Abundant Life--they cost $50 which seemed very expensive at the time, but I have been so happy to have them. The sizes are 8, 12, 16, 20 and 30 strands per inch. I use the 3 middle ones more than the very coarse and very fine ones. We framed them in 1x4 pine--the height of the sides allows for vigorous shaking w/o losing the contents. Some organization needs to provide this service again.
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
WI PL K

I've had the Abundanat Life screens for years and use them a lot. A couple of years ago I spent money of a couple of screens from Seedboro— some with rectangular screening and some oblong holes. Expensive, but they really did help getting chaff out of small non-round seeds like lettuce and carrots. I'd love to find an affordable source for these kinds of screens. One big challenge is figuring out what sizes to use; there are so many, and even a small variation in seed size (like different varieties of lettuce) makes a particular screen size more or less useful. I've been talking with a few neighbors about coop ownership of screens we could share, so we could afford more different sizes.
WI PL K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
whiteoakvalleyfarm

Default Where to buy foil barrier packets in bulk

Originally posted by Mischka:
I save a lot of seeds annually. One of the very best packaging methods for long term storage is using heat-sealable foil barrier packets. They are impervious to both moisture and air. They can also be heat-sealed shut, cut open and resealed easily, many times over.

I had bought a good quantity from Seed Savers Exchange a few years ago but ran out when I was packing up seeds this past autumn.

I checked both the back of the 2009 catalog and the website to reorder more and I couldn't find any listed for sale. I called SSE to inquire and the woman that answered the phone confirmed that they no longer sold them. I asked why an organization that promoted saving seeds stopped selling the supplies to do so. She agreed, took my telephone number and said she would look into it.

About a month ago, I received a phone call from the woman that I had spoken to previously. She said she was calling back to let me know that they decided to again carry the foil barrier packets and that they could be ordered from their website.

Click here if you're interested in ordering them

Thank you Seed Savers Exchange, for listening to your members!
Does anyone know where I could find these in bulk. I grow many types of heirlooms and sell to a few customers to help pay for fertilizer and other costs of maintaining varieties. I guess you could say I have a small hobby business. I have been looking for these bags and a way to seal them to use for the seeds that I sell. I am glad that SSE finally got these back in stock but I need 2,000 - 3,000 of these each year. So, buying them in groups of 25 would be VERY impractical for me. I have purchased seeds before from hobby growers who use these so I know they must be available in bulk somewhere. Thanks for your help!
whiteoakvalleyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
spacecase0
earth human

here are the zip lock kind
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/stockziplock.html
so many options... and many are good prices
you should go look at what else they have as well,
it is a fun web site
spacecase0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
spacecase0