Seed Savers Exchange Forum

Go Back   Seed Savers Exchange Forum > Gardening > Flowers, Ornamentals & Herbs

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Mscountryprepper

Default Can I plant a culinary and medicinal herbs together?

If so what would be good for a first timer?
Mscountryprepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #2
Hoosier Girl

Definitely...in many cases, they overlap. Here is what I would recommend for a starter herb garden, just off the top of my head.

Culinary: thyme, chives, rosemary, oregano, sage, Italian parsley

Medicinal: comfrey, yarrow, valerian, marshmallow, calendula, chamomile, echinacea

Both: peppermint, spearmint, lemon balm...these are great for teas but can be aggressive spreaders, so I grow mine in large pots.

There are also many medicinal and culinary herbs that can be foraged and that are prolific in the Midwest, such as mullein, elderflower, elder berries, chicory, stinging nettle, etc. My recommendation would be to do very careful research into the topic and purchase a good reference book or two, such as the physicians desk reference for herbal medicine. This is especially crucial if you forage.
Hoosier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
filomenasmith

Definitely peppermint is the best option amongst them. So just take care what season is good for a particular one among the choices.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Jamie.11
Banned

Somehow it's fine just be picky and be specific on what you are going to plant. Some plants don't go really well.
Jamie.11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #5
hotzcatz

IMHO, if any of your medicinal plants shouldn't be eaten, then it might be best that they be planted off in their own garden. Just so they don't get harvested with the edibles by mistake. Otherwise, they can mix and match as suitable for the plant types.

For culinary herbs, planting them close to the food prep area is good. That way when you want a bit of basil for the spaghetti sauce, it's much more likely you'll be able to pop out the door and get some. Also a lot of the culinary herbs grow well in pots so they can be brought in when it gets cold. If you had a kitchen window garden, that would be a great spot to grow culinary herbs.

Also, plant what you like to eat and use. It's no use growing it if you aren't going to use it.
hotzcatz is offline   Reply With Quote