Seed Savers Exchange Forum

Go Back   Seed Savers Exchange Forum > Gardening > Alliums

Notices

Old 04-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
bigoledude

Default Potato Onion and Shallot For Gulf Coast

One of the places online that sell potato onions discourages attempting to grow them any further south than 35 degrees latitude. I live just southeast of New Orleans 29 56' 33" N / 89 57' 47" W. I'd rather focus my little time and space to a surer proposition if they won't do well. Is anyone aware of growing them successfully this far south?

How well do they multiply?

LSU Cooperative Extension Service recommends the following shallots for our area; Bonheur, Delta Giant, Summergreen and Louisiana Evergreen. I'd have more chance of finding a unicorn than finding these varieties of shallots!

Our Creole/Cajun folks rarely use shallots as a dry bulb. I have never seen a family member or friend use a dry shallot bulb in cooking or eating fresh. We just go yank a bunch, stick one back in the ground, and go on. We use the green leaves and the white bottom portion almost equally. They stay green year round.

EVERYONE in my parish lost our shallots under the 14 feet of Katrina's flood waters and slop. Many of us are still struggling to find a replacement for the shallots (never even heard a name given for them) we grew for many years. Can someone recommend shallots that would grow and multiply well in these hot humid summer conditions and usually almost warmish winters?
bigoledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
ChristinaJoMD

I don't know if this helps, but I got some multiplying onions(green?). They were featured in Texas Gardener last year. They are called "gumbo" onions. Originally from Louisiana and brought to Texas. They have tall greens and a small bulb. White.
If you would like some, I can send a small amount.

I also have another type that is rumored to be from Florida. Found growing "wild" on old plantation. White,small bulb. VERY prolific.

I don't think they are shallots, but you are welcome to try them.
ChristinaJoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
bigoledude

Christina

The onions arrived in great shape. Thank you very much! The Cajun connection was very touching since, my people are all of Cajun French heritage! And, I have never even heard of these onions before.

Hopefully I can grow enough to spread them around. Especially outside of this flood-prone area.

I am wondering if I should plant them now (early May) or wait till June or even September?

Your gift to me has filled a spot that has been sorely missing in my garden ever since that devastating storm destroyed this area.

Thank you very much!
bigoledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
feldon30
Birthday Hug Monkey

Originally posted by bigoledude:
One of the places online that sell potato onions discourages attempting to grow them any further south than 35 degrees latitude. I live just southeast of New Orleans 29 56' 33" N / 89 57' 47" W. I'd rather focus my little time and space to a surer proposition if they won't do well. Is anyone aware of growing them successfully this far south?
Apparently they've never heard of Texas 1015 Onions.

I would look at other places that are familiar with the unique challenges of growing potatoes, onions, shallots, etc. on the Gulf Coast. People have had tremendous success, it just requires proper timing and techniques.

Dixondalefarms.com is an example that cater specifically to different climates. They recently changed ownership so I'm not sure if they are still as good as they were in the past, but they're definitely worth a look.

LSU Cooperative Extension Service recommends the following shallots for our area; Bonheur, Delta Giant, Summergreen and Louisiana Evergreen. I'd have more chance of finding a unicorn than finding these varieties of shallots!

I think you'll want to look at local nurseries (not big box stores).

Our Creole/Cajun folks rarely use shallots as a dry bulb. I have never seen a family member or friend use a dry shallot bulb in cooking or eating fresh. We just go yank a bunch, stick one back in the ground, and go on. We use the green leaves and the white bottom portion almost equally. They stay green year round.

EVERYONE in my parish lost our shallots under the 14 feet of Katrina's flood waters and slop. Many of us are still struggling to find a replacement for the shallots (never even heard a name given for them) we grew for many years. Can someone recommend shallots that would grow and multiply well in these hot humid summer conditions and usually almost warmish winters?
I've never heard of multiplying shallots, but there must be some people out there who have preserved these varieties and can replenish the supply.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
WI LO M

Originally posted by feldon30:
Apparently they've never heard of Texas 1015 Onions.
Texas 1015 onions are not potato onions. Big difference!

I've never heard of multiplying shallots, but there must be some people out there who have preserved these varieties and can replenish the supply.
True shallots only propagate by multiplying. Potato onions and true shallots are same family, Alium sepa var. aggregatum.
WI LO M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
feldon30
Birthday Hug Monkey

Sorry I read "potato onion" and thought it was a blended thread title of potatoes and onions.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote