Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed source: Ice Cream Melon (heirloom)

Good day. My first post here!

I'm looking for seeds for the old melon called "ice cream melon".

Fearing Burr, in his 1863 Field and Garden Vegetables of America, page 195, describes the melon as having a pale green skin, white flesh and white seeds.

I've found a couple online suppliers who list "ice cream melon", but it's pink with black seeds, and described as "a small melon perfect for holding one scoop of ice cream."

Not what I'm looking for.

Can anyone recommend a source for the "original" description Ice Cream Melon? Pale green skin, white flesh, and white seeds?

Thanks.
    Tom Morehouse
    Eastford CT

Try Digger's Seeds in Dromana,Victoria. (Australia) They have Ice Cream Melon-white seed/flesh. I have ordered seeds from them in the past. Did not require a phyto-sanitary certificate.

Comment

Thank you sir! I just sent them an email. Where did you find that they have the white-flesh Ice Cream melon? I can't find it in any of their online lists.
      Thanks.
      Tom

Comment

This sounds interesting... Keep us informed as to if you are able to secure seeds for this variety.

Comment

Hey NutmegCT; It is listed in their Yearbook (2006). You will have to join their Seed Org. You should also call SSE and ask if it is listed in the current Yearbook. They will tell you if it is. The SSE Yearbook is way cheaper that Diggers Yearbook. I also have an email for Dick Churcher of Kokopeili in France. I'll post it later. churcher@globalnet.co.uk He is actually here in the US.
          Last edited by zebraman; 11-10-2011, 08:16 AM. Reason: adding email

Comment

Hi Zebraman - thanks again for all the references. I emailed Diggers on Tuesday asking if they have the seed. No reply yet.

Say, you mention "it is listed in their Yearbook (2006)". You mean Diggers yearbook? and I should join something called Diggers Seed Org? I didn't know what that is, so I didn't ask in my email.

Also, I emailed Laura at SeedSavers, and she said it isn't listed in "our member yearbook". Not sure how to interpret that. I assume it means no one in Seed Savers Exchange has it? Edit: Laura suggested I ask here in this forum.

Thanks. Please let me know what you hear from Mr. Churcher.
            Tom

Comment

Hey Tom; You can email Dick yourself. He is the contact in the US for Kokopeili seeds in France. Not listed in "our member yearbook" is the SSE Yearbook, which means you'll have to find it elsewhere. Diggers has a yearbook too. You will have to join if you want to receive seeds from members.

Comment

Thanks Z. I just emailed Dick. I still haven't got a reply from Diggers.

Tom

Comment

Sounds like this variety would be a great addition to the Yearbook, NutmegCT. I hope you consider listing it yourself after you track it down so the rest of us can try it out.

Comment

John - I'm new to this. Could you tell me exactly what the SSE Yearbook is, and how it works?

Here's Burr's full description of the Ice Cream Melon:

A large, very pale-green sort; when unmixed, readily distinguishable from all other varieties. Form nearly round, but sometimes a little depressed at the extremities; flesh white, very sweet, and tender, and of remarkable fine flavor; seeds white. It is prolific, and also early, and is remarkably well adapted for cultivation in cold localities, or where the seasons are too short for the successful culture of the more tender and late kinds. Its pale-green skin, white flesh, and white seeds, are its prominent distinctive peculiarities.

Comment

Just heard from Dick Churcher. He says he can't help, but he forwarded my request to someone named Chris Baur.

Still no word from Diggers.

The adventure continues!
                      Tom

Comment

I just heard from Diggers. They have no seed for this melon, altho' they have a Cream of Saskatchewan with green stripe skin, white flesh, and black seeds.

Jackie Loader at Diggers didn't mention anything called a Yearbook.

Now hoping to hear from "Chris Baur", contacted by Dick Churcher. I don't know who Chris Baur is.

Tom

Comment

One of the suppliers I contacted suggested I try the Canadian Seed Bank. The only results I get from a Google search are marijuana suppliers.

Does anyone know of a general seed source with a name like Canadian Seed Bank?

Thanks.
                          Tom

Comment

Tom; Try here- gefreebc.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/canada-organic-seed-list/
                            Last edited by zebraman; 11-17-2011, 07:59 PM. Reason: t

Comment

Originally posted by zebraman View Post
                              Tom; Try here- getfreebc.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/canada-organic-seed-list/

Excellent! Thanks for the link. (I changed the getfreebc to gefreebc and it works fine).

Say, any idea who Chris Baur is?

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X