Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's called colcannon and it's also great with cabbage.

Comment

We are having an unheardof warm winter here in SW Michigan. I was thinking of starting some kale indoors now, and getting it outside asap, as it feels like it will be al long cool spring.

Do the young plants have the same cold hardiness as the summer grown plants?

ps Last winter I had some Brussel Sprouts emerge from a snow bank- ready to eat!:]

Comment

Yum! I love kale. I did a fall planting in 2010 of Dwarf Blue from Renee's and it kept going through the heat of an Arizona summer, which surprised the heck out of me; we're talking 115+ degrees. I just kept watering and left it alone and it's still going strong almost a year and a half later. Just made some potato kale soup with some of it. Great stuff!

Comment

Thanks for all the Kale tips, I'll give it a try next fall, it grows over the winter in my area. This is the first year I've really used kale on a regular basis. So many pretty varieties at our farmers market! I especially like the Dino kale that's been mentioned here, for stir-fries and smoothies and juicing. It even keeps intact through crock-pot vegetable soup cooked on low, without getting mushy.

Comment

Since kale, broccoli, cabbage (and others) don't need to flower for us to eat them, I'm going to try using row covers extensively on my "cole" family crops this summer to prevent cabbage worm damage.

Since someone mentioned "will seeds of Kale grow if it's already cold outside?" Fedco has interesting information on their website which shows minimum germination temperature for the seeds of any particular veggie, and also the temperature at which you get the highest percentage of "normal" plants.

In other words, your seeds may germinate at 50 degrees, but you may get big losses both because of low germination % at that temp, but also because of deformed plants that will be weak and more subject to disease and bugs. But at the optimum temperature for that particular plant you will get your highest germination % and most of your plants will be healthy.
            Last edited by Dick Shannon; 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

For anyone considering kale varieties, I grew Red Russian kale this year, no winter protection whatsoever, and I am STILL able to harvest leaves (although a recent cold snap did some damage). What an amazing plant. I will definitely be growing it again, maybe combined with some pretty green varieties.

Comment

Update: I grew Dwarf Curly Kale this year and had no problem with worms even tho' the cabbage moths kept fluttering around. The DeCicco Broccoli also had no problems with cabbage worms, but I think grasshoppers might have defoliated a couple of small ones. The hoppers seem to have a taste for some of everything.

Comment

Kale! I love kale. This year, the Kale has been the best performing plant in my garden all season long. No other plant looks fantastic still - I planted them in early spring, and they look just as lush as ever!

I'm looking forward to harvesting leaves well into winter.

Comment

This is a light green color, and tastes great. This is not a real potatoey taste, but do not have a taste of kale. A bit like a chowder.

Comment

Is it the incredibly hot and dry summer in MN? My gardening friends also have the same thing happening. Other perennials are not following suit, just the echinacea. I have beans and cowpeas sprouting in there shell at the moment. Is it good to cultivate those in this climate.

Comment

Working...
                      X