X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating Hostas

This winter I read that hostas were edible and decided I would try them this spring. This weekend I sampled some shoots of my mom's very large old hosta in front of her house. The leaf shoots were up about 2 inches and had not yet unfurled. It was delicious! It tasted like mild, slightly salted, asparagus. My mom tried it too and agreed! We would have made a meal of them if my mom wasn't so attached to her hosta plant ... but she is. I'm not positive all hostas taste this good, I read that some varieties taste better than others. Anyway, if you had excess hostas, they are definitely worth trying.

This is very interesting news indeed! There has been some discussion about eating hostas but to my knowledge you are the only person to try one. I think I may have to plant a few myself and see how they measure up.

Comment

Just tried it.

Not bad at all!

Thanks.

dcarch

Comment

Did you cook them or eat them like salad greens? I have a lot of hostas & would gladly try munching on a few...maybe with some of the fern fiddleheads.

Maybe tonight. This is pretty exciting, actually. I love new veggie food sources!

Comment

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/cgi-bin/...Hosta++species

This says cooked. I'm growing some new stuff this year from reading Leaf for Life website, and looking for foods that can be eaten for a longer time.

Comment

Edible Hostas

To anyone that's interested, I can send you a pdf of my article on Edible Hostas from the UK based Permaculture Magazine (send me a message/email)

I'm also conducting a Hosta experiment (mentioned in the article) where I'm asking "volunteers" to try their Hostas and report back with their experiences - I've made a short questionnaire that participants can fill out. Would be happy if any of you guys would take part....

Comment

Hi there everyone, I'm new to the forum, and very interested in edible plants and permaculture. I found this site while looking to find info on edible hostas - I came across Stevil's post and the following message:
              'To anyone that's interested, I can send you a pdf of my article on Edible Hostas from the UK based Permaculture Magazine (send me a message/email)'
              Is there any chance you could send me it? I would be very grateful!
              Thanks, Marc. Sorry for short introduction, but I've been on the web all day and have had more than enough of being in front of the computer screen!

Comment

Hi Raw Jersey Milk!

Just send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Stephen

Comment

Hi Stephen! Do you have any results on the Edible Hosta varieties experiment? I'm going to be planting a bunch for clients this year and would love to choose the best-testing and most palatable! Thanks!

Comment

Here are a few hosta dishes:

dcarch

Comment

dcarch! Again with the Hosta food photos; you neglected to post what time is supper served at your house!

Comment

Very interesting. I had never thought of it. An edible that anybody can grow in their front yard.

Comment

Aside from finger blight or homeowner restrictions (with which I could never live) why wouldn't you plant anything you want in your front yard? Lettuces and some Brassicas are very decorative, for instance, as are cardoons and rhubarb.

Comment

Those look like they would be suitable for adding to a stir fry.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleJohn View Post
                              Those look like they would be suitable for adding to a stir fry.
                              They also can be frozen well.

dcarch

Comment

Working...
                              X