Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

mold on peat moss cups and paper cups

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • mold on peat moss cups and paper cups

    I had made a number of paper cups to transfer my seedlings into. They were mixed with a bunch of the peat moss ones and all were bunched together on large trays.

    Some of the paper ones started to get little white fuzzy fungus stuff growing on them. Because they were touching the peat moss ones, they spread. I have them a little more separated now and they are not as wet.

    Does this fungus harm anything?


  • #2
    I had something like that in one of my brussels sprouts. It showed up just as it was popping up, so I chucked it all and started over. I have no idea if it would have been harmful or fatal, but decided to take no chances due to my inexperience with such things. LOL

    Oh, it was in an eggshell. Not sure if that was the problem. My cauliflower right next to it, in an eggshell as well, did fine and is now living happily in its peat pot.


    • #3
      mold on peat moss cups and paper cups

      Great question!
      It seems like I get at least a little mold or fungus type stuff every year on the soil in my starter trays (plastic) or peat cups. I've never actually seen it appear on the plant. Nor have I ever had it affect the plant or produce.
      I guess I second this question. Does a little mold/fungus in the soil hurt anything? It seems difficult to avoid since these little seedlings are growing in a moist, warm little "climate".


      • #4
        Too wet if there's mold or mildew growing. If it's that moist, you will eventually get "damping off".


        • #5
          mold on peat moss cups and paper cups

          How often/how much do you guys water seedlings?


          • #6
            mold on peat moss cups and paper cups

            Also, have any of you ever heard of using a solution of chamomile tea, or garlic, or ground cinnamon as a preventative against fungus?


            • #7
              I water when they begin to wilt... I mist them at the same time. Just water them so they are moist, not soaked. The top of the soil should always be dry so flies, mites, mold, and mildew aren't a problem... but that's just my way.


              • #8
                Originally posted by MacRhea View Post
                ... chamomile tea, or garlic, or ground cinnamon as a preventative against fungus?
                All three are astringents

                Herbal astringents have been used to treat sewage infected waters, but the amount or concentration needed is not an exact science. Being that these are "only" plants, (no disrespect intended for those whose plants are "babies"), it is worth the experiment!

                See pgs. 42, 57, 75 & 79 in the Complete Illustrated Guide to the Holistic Herbal. by David Hoffman Published in February 25, 2002, Element Books Ltd.

                Only garlic is anti microbial and also used in gardens widely for pest control.

                When our "pots" get mold on them, we know that they are getting TOO MUCH water. It is, hard to back off of a regular schedule. I watch the dryness of the soil in the cups. In the first few weeks we water every 3rd or 4th day. Nearer to planting time, we water every other day. If it's sunny and hot outside the greenhouse, we water more. It's usually the ones in the center that get the fuzziest, so we rotate them to the outside of the table. The sun gets to it and naturally irradiates the stuff into submission

                We use empty cups to give a little more space and support. Try repotting into a second pot. However, we have also very carefully taken off the moldiness, and put the plant in a fresh "pot" too! You don't have to throw it away! There is still life!!! Another solution is to plant into a bigger pot, covering with fresh soil and smothering the offending stuff.


                • #9
                  The hydro folks swear by putting a little bit of peroxide in the water. It will kill any molds or fungi, but be aware it also kills any beneficials as well as the bad actors.


                  • #10
                    I found white mold on the soil around my seedlings the first year I started seeds indoors. I realized that I was watering too much. I backed off on the watering to the point of keeping the soil dark, but without looking visibly wet, watering every 3-5 days when the soil surface just started to dry out in spots. That curtailed the mold growth significantly and I haven't had the mold problem in subsequent years. Additionally, that year, I made some chamomile tea (using teabags made with just chamomile) and used a squirt bottle to spray the affected areas a couple times (a couple days apart) and that reduced the mold a fair amount, enough that I did not lose any of the seedlings.

                    A note on my watering method - I use plastic six-packs and trays to bottom water. I've used peat pots on occasion, but I find them harder to keep watered the right amount -- they seem to dry out almost suddenly. Hope this helps.


                    • #11
                      I am having that problem, this my first year with peat cups. But only on the cups where a bit of seed is sticking up out of the peat.
                      The cups I bought were a bit small for peas and for gourd seeds, so they peek out of the top.
                      I am not too worried though.