X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sungold. No go?

Having read all the wonderful write-ups about Sungold on how wonderful it is, I had tried the past couple of seasons growing it.
    I was very disappointed. Tasteless sour balls of slime. Definitely spitters. I gave the leftover seeds to someone else.

Then this year, I was swayed again. I bought new seeds to try once more.

I had the first ripe one today, Just one. OMG! Wonderful, spectacular, superdelicious.

Same soil, same location, same weather pattern, same fertilizer. Same everything, different seed source.

What can I tell you?

dcarch

What can I tell you?

That you were wrong, very wrong indeed and that it's worth trying to regrow a variety that so many folks love that didn't work out for you at first.

Comment

Sungold last year did nothing for me.
      But I KNOW what it can taste like and this year it is GRRRRRRRREAT.

Worth

Comment

If sungold is a hybrid, perhaps you got someone's cross.

Comment

I don't know, but I tried it twice because of all the rave reviews of it, and yes it was a spitter. Watery, prone to splitting (rare for cherry types), and sour. Poor yields and lacked vigor too. Not just in my garden but in someone else's I planted for her.

I recall that opinions on the gardenweb tomato forum were polarized, most loving it and some hating it. I would guess that it is one of those tomatoes whose performance varies significantly according to some variable that has not been isolated.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were disease as my soil is challenging for tomatoes, but if it's weather then it's really out of luck as we have been having La Nina events (bad for tomatoes) for years now.

Comment

Sungold is a hybrid, so all seeds should be identical, as they are done by Seminis I believe. I buy my seeds from Tomato Growers Supply.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon30 View Post
              Sungold is a hybrid, so all seeds should be identical, as they are done by Seminis I believe. I buy my seeds from Tomato Growers Supply.
              Done in Japan Morgan, but I can't remember which company .

Seminis is a conglomerate of several companies, both in the US, such as Petoseed. one in S America and I think a couple in the Netherlands but I can't remember their names. But it's at the website when you Google Seminis.

Comment

Sungold was a spitter for me both times I grew it, the plants however were very prolific and heavy bearing. Perhaps I should try a different seed source and try it once more.

Comment

Some people just don't like it. It's very fruity-sweet, too much for some people. I can't eat more than 2-3 and then I get "Sungold fatigue".

Comment

Best cherry on the planet IMO. Early, productive, disease resistant and taste bud bliss. What's not to love?

Comment

The above poster "Mr. John" talked me (actually more my wife as he wrote on the seed package and I quote: "you must grow these - Suz will love them") into growing them - So I did. ..

I am in no way shape or form a cherry tomato fan -
                      But somehow, SunGold & Black Cherry ended up in my patch this season.

Will report back ...

~ Tom

Comment

I'd suggest keeping "Mr John" away from your wife.

Comment

ha ha ... riiiiight ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Tom

Comment

What this thread needs is...

Sungold

Comment

man do those things "look" good !

~ Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X