X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato leaves curling and turning upside down

The leaves on my seed saver plants are curling upwards, starting at the bottom of the plant and moving upwards. They are also rotating upside down! This is so consistent it can't be an accident.

I am growing them in 5 gallon buckets, and it is very warm here in central GA, already in the mid to high 80s every day, occasionally touching 90. Is this just a watering issue? I don't want to drown the plants.

Thanks!

I was just coming in to post the same thing! I gave my mother a seedling of Mexico Midget. She has it in a very large pot, about the same size as a 5 gallon container. Her's is doing the same thing. It looks like the leaves never unfurl. The plant is putting lots of energy into new shoots and even a few fruits, but all of the new leaves stay curled up.

For what it's worth, I have two of the same plants in my garden and they are doing great. So, it seems to be a problem of growing them in containers and perhaps the weather. Would moving it to a shadier, and thus cooler, spot help? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

http://forums.seedsavers.org/showthr...eferrerid=4830

This post seems to be informative. The leaf curl you describe could be due to hot weather, with the leaves curling in order to conserve water. I suggest try the mulching approach. My tomatoes are in a garden, and they curl during hot weather. I should invest in mulching as well to protect against evaporation in the soil.

A slightly shader spot in your case might also curb the issue.

Comment

It didn't occur to me that it might be heat, but I think that's the problem. The pot is on a raised deck, so the roots are probably at 90+ degrees, for almost 2 weeks now. We're going to try moving it to cool off the roots.

I'll definitely check back in with results.

Comment

What color are your buckets? If they are not white and are heating up the root zone you need to put something around the buckets to reflect the heat. Water your plants in the morning and again in the afternoon. The larger the plant the more water it is going to require. And remember you will need to fertilize them on a regular basis as the plant grows it's nutrient uptake will increase. Ami

Comment

Working...
          X