X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish tomatoes

I read in a special German magazine (called Spain Gourmetour) about some Spanish varieties, I never had heard about before. They are called Muchamilke, Monserrat, Tomate rosado de Aracena, Tomate de Barbastro (basia) and Raf.

I could find a source for the two first named and ordered them for a try.

Does anyone know anything about them?

Originally posted by Eberhard Stilz View Post
    I read in a special german magazin (called Spain Gourmetour) about some spanish varieties, I never had heard about before. They are called Muchamilke, Monserrat, Tomate rosado de Aracena, Tomate de Barbastro (basia) and Raf.

Sorry: it is not "Muchamilke", but "Muchamiel"!

Comment

Hi,
      You may contact CHI on the Spanish forum "infojardin.com", she owns the largest list of Spanish heirloom tomatoes I know.

http://www.infojardin.com/foro/member.php?u=54597

Comment

Thank you. But unfortunately I don't understand Spanish, so I did not find my way.

Comment

Hi, write in French if you can, she is French living and living .
          Last edited by biofutur; 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I read in a special German magazine (called Spain Gourmetour) about some Spanish varieties, I never had heard about before. They are called Muchamilke, Monserrat, Tomate rosado de Aracena, Tomate de Barbastro (basia) and Raf.

What is your source for the 2 varieties you found? I love growing new varieties.

Comment

Originally posted by rrr11r View Post

What is your source for the 2 varieties you found? I love growing new varieties.
              Hi, personally from her I got this year and the former, RAF, Muchamiel (not mike), Montserrat, Rosado de Aracena. But I don't know anything about the last one.
              Last edited by biofutur; 12-01-2009, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by biofutur View Post
                Hi, personally from her I got this year and the former, RAF, Muchamiel (not mike), Montserrat, Rosado de Aracena. But I don't know anything about the last one.
                There is a variety from Granada, Spain said to be an old variety, in the 2009 SSE YEarbook, but is spelled RAS. Perhaps soneone mistook the s for an f in the above spelling.

Monserrat and Muchamiel used to be listed but aren't in the 2009 and I think I know why b'c I've grown both. The Spanish like their tomatoes on the tart side and eat them when there's still a lot of green shoulders. They won't ripen up, like many other varieties from many countries, b'c they don't have what's called the uniform ripening gene.

So to me both varieties were not as tasty as I would have preferred and I think the taste just didn't appeal to the majority of SSE members who perhaps requested seeds and then didn't relist.

When in Spain if you're looking for older OP varieties you really have to search outside main cities b'c the tomatoes used mostly in Spain now are hybrids.

of the 4500 tomato varieties listed in the SSE YEarbooks I'm pretty sure that I saw others from Spain, but I've only grown the two I mentioned b'c they were brought back to me in commercial seed packs many years ago.

When I was in Spain I didn't know I was going to have such a strong interest in heirloom tomatoes, so didn't look around for same. Same for all the countries in Europe and Scandinavia and Greece and Isael and nothern Africa where I've been. if I onlt knew then about OP varieties it would have been great fun to bring back seeds.

it used to be that if folks wanted some rarer varieties they had to search around, but things have changed with the appearance of many SSE members from overseas and those in the US with contacts overseas or those here now who came to the US, and so there's a huge number of relatively rare varieties listed in the SSE YEarbooks these days.

I strongly urge anyone with an interest in OP anything to join SSE and support their mission of seed preservation, but when it comes to tomatoes it's just my opinion that folks should build up an interest and growing experience with the more common ones first before spreading out to the rarest ones.

Comment

Eberhard,

It appears that they are sold on the German ebay site. Here is a link to the seeds I found while searching.

Good Luck.

Dean

Comment

Above I described Ras and in doing some searching for something I found that in 2006 at DG there was a nice thread about RAF that was posted with several folks from Spain posting.

I'd forgotten that I even participated in that thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/617442/

What I don't know is if Ras is the same as Raf, which is a rather important question.

Comment

Thanks to all of you. That was very kind and helpfull.

I have found the seeds from two different private tomatogrowers in Germany. But only Muchamiel and Monserrat. Didn't find the RAS, neither the Rosado de Aracena. As to RAS I am not so unhappy after what Carolyn said. In the Journal where I took notice of them for the first time (SPAINGourmetour 9/2009) they are described as wunderfull, with beautifull pictures. F.e. Tomate rosado de Aracena: Big, thin skin, tastefiull, very sweet meat, nearly no seeds. As to Raf (how it is written there) they mention some tarteness and darkgreen parts.

After what you write as to RAF or RAS I have the idea, that it could be a relative of a strange tomatoe from Sardegna called Camona (Sardegna in historie has been part of Spain and still some of the costums there are under spanish influence). Camona used to be a very high priced and seldom variety in Germany as in Italy, growm only in Sardegna, in market very late in the year, tart and hard flesh but nevertheless very tastefull. I never could manage to get seeds and as I thout it would not be a heirloom I didn't take seeds from the fruit.

By the way, this year I was not happy with the new varieties I tried. To my content there was only one variety I had from a familiy coming from Russia. They had no name for it, but had it in their familiy for a long time. It is a very big, meaty red tomato, growing at strong and healthy plants; very intensive taste, balnaced between sweetness and tart. Late but good yield.
                      <unfortunately I didn't make much fotos. I'm not sure anymore, but I guess it was the single one on the foto or the firt big one left on the foto with different tomatoes, that I try now to add.

best regards
                      Eberhard
                      P.S.: Unteill now I didn't find out how to add a foto. I will try again later.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	8cdd284cc91413f9fcc92d56c989ff51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	502

Click image for larger version

Name:	cf699c0f51487ecd827326c498891a68.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	503

Her it is (hopefully)

Comment

Not a lot, but some info from a grower in BC, Canada:

Muchamiel: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Muchamiel
                          Monserrat: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Monserrat

I have not come across the last two...

Tania

Comment

Oh, I also have 'Ras' listed among Spanish tomato varieties:

Ras: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ras

Tania

Comment

Hi everyone,
                              Hi Carolyn. Interesting your note which I think has to be completed. I am a little lacking of time, for the time being. But soon I'll write a complementary note. There so much to say about these Spanish tomatoes ...
                              byebye

Comment

Working...
                              X