X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vining/Climbing Okra

A friend gave me some dried okra pods which are around 12 to 14 inches in length. He said this okra has been in his family for a number of years. When small (6 to 8 in) it is sweet when steamed or fried and not at all slimy like regular okra. Does anyone have any experience with this unique okra or have more information you would be willing to share? thanks wvmtneer

Does anyone have any experience with this unique okra or have more information you would be willing to share?
    I'll take a stab: it's not Okra. It's a type of Luffa:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organ...bing-Okra.aspx

I dunno who came up with the name "climbing Okra", but a better name for it is "angled Luffa". It is a common food in tropical Asia. The "sponge" type Luffas can also be eaten, very young and immature before their fibers start turning unpleasant.

Warm to hot weather and plenty of water.

Comment

Good answer! And I agree.

Comment

Vinning Okra

I have a buddy looking for some vinning okra. He has plenty of Star of David he would like to trade. He also has some other heirloom seeds if you are in need of something else. Please let me know what we can do. Thanks and God bless!

Comment

It is a common food in tropical Asia. The "sponge" type Luffas can also be eaten.

Comment

Working...
          X