Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving celery seed in winter climates

Hi All,
    Happily I have been able to grow some tasty celery this year. I put a few plants in the grrenhouse and are still growing great. The greenhouse will be given over to frost/freezing by December to kill any buggies. I am wondering about saving some of this celery for seed next year, or even just to have the flowers for insects to enjoy.
    How do you think it would work to cut back the stalks and dig up the plants. Then I can put them in the house, warm, or crawl space, about 45 degrees, and bring them out in the Spring. The outside world isn't very plant habitable until mid May.
    Thanks for any ideas,
    Jean in Mt
    zone 3-4

Hi Jean,
    We're in the same zone as you but in Minnesota. We winter over celery in our greenhouse in an insulated pit that has polycarbonate twinwall covers. When it's subzero we throw blankets over it for additional protection. The pit can get down into the 20's F., but the celery comes through just fine. We do celeriac the same way but in different years than the celery. Years ago we also successfully grew celery seed by cutting the plants back and putting the roots in pots in the root cellar until late winter, then into a greenhouse/sunspace. By the way, you'll get a lot of seed from a few plants but fortunately celery seed germinates fine from seed that's a few years old if it's been stored properly. Also, you'll have plenty of seed leftover to use in the kitchen for seasoning.
    Last edited by Walk; 11-20-2011, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your experience. Now I have confidence to carry on. Hopefully I have enough potting soil left to pot them up !!!
      Thanks so much, jean in Mt

Comment

Working...
      X