X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitefly or Fruitfly

What's the difference between Whitefly and Fruitfly? And are there other very small flies that infest greenhouses? Is soap water/Safer the best control?
    Thanks all!

Whiteflies are actually white. Actually for wanting to know exactly what they look like you might be best off googling for an image.

Yes there are a variety... like thrips, fungus gnats and the like. If you are trying to ID something try getting a picture of it to post, that will help sort out what method to try to control them.

Some of them lay eggs in the soil, some are attracted to the color yellow (so sticky traps are used)... fruitflies you can use a jar and make a trap ( bait is a liquid like fruit juice, vinegar, wine, or beer... they like sweet fermented stuff.. put in enough to fill at least 1/2 inch deep... then cover with plastic wrap and poke a small hole in the top. Also can use plastic water bottles... cut off top 1/4th of the container and invert, hot glue to secure.) Thing is they are attracted to the smell, find their way in but get confused trying to find their way out... eventually falling in the liquid and drowning.

Comment

Mfffff mmmm, nnnm.

Comment

Thank you Dreyaden and Got Worms?. I am a novice and making my first attempt at indoor gardening. Have been planting lettuce and it's been going great for about 6 weeks - now have aphids covering everything. I'll try washing them off, then use the vinegar solution idea. I hope this works - I've been SO looking forward to eating organic lettuce!!!

Comment

Crap. Had to give up and toss the whole bunch of lettuce out. Couldn't control the aphids.

Comment

Any suggestions for starting again? I definitely had aphids and gnats. The gnats were under control with yellow sticky pads. The liquid bait that Dreyadin suggested didn't work. Washing didn't work. Spraying with soapy water didn't work. How do I start a new batch without getting aphids again?

Comment

Originally posted by Kim from Indiana View Post
              Any suggestions for starting again? I definitely had aphids and gnats. The gnats were under control with yellow sticky pads. The liquid bait that Dreyadin suggested didn't work. Washing didn't work. Spraying with soapy water didn't work. How do I start a new batch without getting aphids again?
              1. Get rid of ants. Ants "farm" aphids.

2. When it is not freeezing outside, take your lettuce outside. Aphids don't like cold.

dcarch

Comment

Liquid trap is for luring fruitflies.

Fungus gnats start the first few cycles in the soil... so watch houseplants and other moist soil in the area as they will wander to those areas too.

Maybe look into Neem oil.

Comment

To Dcarch & Dreyadin
                  I have taken all the lettuce trays outside (it is freezing). Would it be safe to throw them in a compost pile, with all the dirt? I'm assuming the freeze would kill anything in the soil. I guess I need to start over with new soil and really clean out the trays? The lettuce has been sitting in an area that I have been overwintering alot of geraniums. No aphids on them, so aphids must not like geraniums.

Thanks for the info on Neem oil and fruitflies.

Comment

Well... now you know the source of the problem. Yes aphids and whiteflies like geraniums.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8504.html

Comment

This might not be the answer you are looking for

but fruit flies (two words) are true flies, order Diptera, Family Tephritidae.
                      http://bugguide.net/node/view/7017/bgimage
                      Whiteflies (one word) are not flies but rather plant parasitic bugs, order Hempitera, Family Aleyrodidae.
                      http://bugguide.net/node/view/7055/bgimage

Comment

I tried the soap and water and it wasnt very effective, I re applied a couple days later and didnt seem to make much of a difference, I think if I had sprayed the underside of each leaf it would have been much more effective. With over 100 kale plants affected I didnt have the time this year for this experiment.

I read white flies are attracted to plants that are under some kind of stress, which I believe because my kale was only 1 month old and we were having a big dry spell.

I ended up spraying a chemical named Decis, Im new to the boards but I can imagine this isnt an option for some growers. I had a really bad infestation, of whiteflys and aphids in combination with a busy work schedule at the time, so I went for it, it worked. Now I have some whitefly's around my younger kale but its not enough for me to worry about.

Comment

I get aphids on my overwintered tomatoes and peppers. I use Natra soap spray when I can't take them outdoors. Keeps the numbers down but doesn't eliminate them.

Comment

Please suggest me difference between whitefly and fruitfly.

Comment

Working...
                            X