Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uses for Plastic 55 Gal. Food Grade Drums?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for Plastic 55 Gal. Food Grade Drums?

I have had a hard time finding them locally. So, resigning myself to the notion that I will need to venture outside of my normal "turf" I chose a place that offered both open and closed top drums approximately an hour and a half from my place, and had them at a reasonable price.

I, also want to get as many as I need +1, in one trip. After all it is an hour and a half one way. So, the question is: how many do I need? I thought I knew, 'till I ran across a few posts here, and started to wonder if there were any other uses for them.

Any suggested uses would be welcome.

Charlie

You can grow nice parsnips in them...as well as other root crops.

Comment

Yes, thanks. I can put potatoes in one open top drum.
      Charlie

Comment

Composting? Fill one up, knock it on its side and roll it around the yard to turn the compost? Roll it over the garden to dump it?

Another use? Hide in one and jump out to scare rabbits and groundhogs and thieving neighbors? Then they'll always wonder whether you are hiding in there or not?

Comment

Originally posted by beehappy View Post
          Composting? Fill one up, knock it on its side and roll it around the yard to turn the compost? Roll it over the garden to dump it?

Another use? Hide in one and jump out to scare rabbits and groundhogs and thieving neighbors? Then they'll always wonder whether you are hiding in there or not?
          Beehappy, your first idea was good; I plan on using one or two drums for composting, but your second idea was excellent. Maybe I can use a full sized cutout of myself with a camera in hand, to work like a jack in the box, and take pictures of those perpetrators of garden terrorism.
          Charlie
          Last edited by Got Worms?; 02-19-2010, 04:38 PM.

Comment

I've been looking for a couple of these to make rain barrels. With an opening at the top covered with screen and a faucet near the bottom these can be a huge help in watering.

Also, you might want to take a look at a concurrent discussion.

Bill

Comment

Well, I have my drums. I picked up eight of them. They are in like new condition. I could have fit two more on the trailer, but I couldn't figure out uses for this many as it is. I was just afraid that if I had gotten any less; then I would find out that I needed more. Decisions, decisions. I have seven open top drums with lids and bands, and I have one closed top drum (held Canola oil) with bungs, that I'm thinking about useing as a pressure vessel (up to twenty lbs.)to pressurize the discharge side of my rainwater system. I will have to do a pressure test first...that should be fun...muahahahaha.

Originally posted by billkoe View Post
              I've been looking for a couple of these to make rain barrels. With an opening at the top covered with screen and a faucet near the bottom these can be a huge help in watering.

Bill
              Bill, I use these: http://forums.seedsavers.org/showpos...3&postcount=21 but you've given me an idea; I think maybe one with a screen on top and a faucet near the bottom might make a fine 55 gallon compost tea brewer. With a screened in wire basket; and an air pump plumbed in, I could have enough compost tea to spray my whole lawn.
              Charlie

Comment

A 55 gallon drum? I've got an idea... (not for vegetarians) Ugly (or Upright) Drum Smoker.

Comment

A cob oven!

Extra storage space till you find the perfect spot to hide the body.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon30 View Post
                    A 55 gallon drum? I've got an idea... (not for
                    vegetarians) Ugly (or Upright) Drum Smoker.
                    Vegetarian?

My Beef Composter.

Charlie
                    Last edited by Got Worms?; 02-21-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X