X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Cucumbers

I am looking for cucumber varieties that are really sweet. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

If you don't mind a hybrid, try hybrid Sweet Slice. Its also bitter free.
    Last edited by Grandpa; 07-04-2009, 05:10 AM.

Comment

I tried Diva, another hybrid last year, and it was fairly sweet.

Comment

Probably the sweetest "cucumber" I've tried is the Armenian cucumber, which is really an elongated melon bred to be eaten immature. Outstanding flavor, and very crisp too.

Many Asian cucumbers are "bitter free" - if that is what you mean by sweet. "WI 5207" is the sweetest slicing cucumber I have tried so far.

Comment

Hello,
          I suggest to try some exotic cucumber in the C. sativus
          - very easy to find in USA as poona keera, or the small Lemon.
          - asiatic strain in ssp sikkimensis as Hmong Red, or Sikkimensis, or Usbekski (very sweet even overmatured)
          - chinese strain as Long of china or Shuyo.

If you are living in a very hot area, young fruits of Luffa or Lagenaria are quite delicious but very unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by WI_HO_C View Post
            Probably the sweetest "cucumber" I've tried is the Armenian cucumber, which is really an elongated melon bred to be eaten immature. Outstanding flavor, and very crisp too.
            Yes I've tasted too and they are really outstanding. But I fear Armenian Cucumber is not a true cucumber, more a C. melo (ssp flexuosus).

Comment

I second the Armenian cucumber! It's a tasty "cuke."

Comment

For a sweetish cucumber I tend to get the best results with a Kiva type (one with a brown crackly skin, like Poona Keera, Uzbecki, Sikkim etc.). If you can find it, I tend to find Kaiser Alexander to be the best one in terms of production and taste.

Comment

Working...
                X