Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red potato onions

Do they exist anymore?

I hope so, cause I really would like to find some!

Comment

This is an exerpt from the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange website:

"Potato onions enjoyed widespread popularity before the turn of the century. Nearly every gardener grew potato onions and they were available in yellow, white, and reddish-brown varieties, the yellow being most common. Potato onions are still a local favorite in some areas of Virginia. Each bulb cluster of potato onions may contain many bulbs, averaging 2 to 2-1/2" in diameter. When a small bulb (3/4") is planted, it will usually produce one or two larger bulbs. When a large bulb (3 to 4") is planted, it will produce approximately 10 to 12 bulbs per cluster. These bulbs of various sizes may be used for eating, storing, or replanting. By replanting a mixture of sizes you will have plenty of sets for next year's crop and plenty of onions for eating during the year. Potato onions can increase 3- to 8- fold by weight each year depending on growing conditions. Potato onions store better than most seed onions, and individual bulbs can be grown in flower pots to produce a steady supply of green onions during the winter."

They have the yellow potato onions on their website.
      http://www.southernexposure.com/Merc...ry_Code=PONION

I could not find red or white ones anywhere.

If anybody does find them, please let us know.

Comment

Search for posts by UT WI K -- Kelly Winterton.

He has done his own garden research with potato onions, getting them to grow very large.

I think he may be able to give you some leads.

Comment

I do have some very large potato onions. Mine are white. I have never seen or heard of red ones. I have some articles I have written, and pictures of my potato onions on my personal little website. Go to http://kellysgarden.googlepages.com and you will get my homepage. From my homepage, click on the gardening link and you will find the articles and pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by kellysgarden View Post
            I do have some very large potato onions. Mine are white. I have never seen or heard of red ones. I have some articles I have written, and pictures of my potato onions on my personal little website. Go to http://kellysgarden.googlepages.com and you will get my homepage. From my homepage, click on the gardening link and you will find the articles and pictures.

Kelly,

Do you have any white potato onions for sale/trade or through the SSE listing?

By the way, Southern Exposure Seed Exchange is another commercial source for the yellow potato onions.

Comment

Looking online through the yearbook's history feature, it appears the red potato onion has pretty much disappeared. I can't find one listing from last year at all.

Comment

Although they're not potato onions, I heartily recommend Rossa di Toscano red onions.

We've grown them from seed 2 years in a row, and got great yields. This year we got 30 lbs. of onions, many 3 inches across, we also ate some during the summer and gave some away.

I got my seed from Gourmet Seeds International and they give a good amount of seed for the price. The seeds gave me 90% germination in the second year (I saved them in the frigerator in a jar with the lid screwed on tight.) I guess I will see how they germinate in year 3, and do it in time to get more seed if the germination rate is low.

Good luck all, Dick
                Last edited by Dick Shannon; 09-11-2010, 07:52 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

Years ago, I had some geniune red potato onions which I had purchased from Kalimia (not sure of spelling). I if remember correctly they were a farm in Virginia but either went out of business, folded up or were sold. In any case, that's not a source anymore.

The onions were like the yellow variety, but I think a tad smaller. Lost them years ago. But they do (or did) exist.

Donnchadh

Comment

Can you describe the flavor or storage qualities of the red potato onion? It makes no sense that the yellow one is only available.

Doing a quick google search returned the following:
                    Kalmia Farms. PO Box 3881, Charlottesvile, VA 22903 --specializes in multiplier onions, shallots and garlic. (source: http://www.permacultureactivist.net/...SeedResrcs.htm)

Are you sure they no longer exist?

Comment

Bump, bump.

Comment

Potato onions are commonly grown in the UK. Try searching some sites from there, and you may get lucky. They may be called "Egyptian", or "Walking" onions on their sites.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleJohn View Post
                          Potato onions are commonly grown in the UK. Try searching some sites from there, and you may get lucky. They may be called "Egyptian", or "Walking" onions on their sites.
                          The Egyptian Walking onions are top-setting onions and they are available commercially in the US. The red potato onions multiply in the ground, and they have not been available for quite a while.

Comment

I was not referring to "Egyptian Walking Onion". They often refer to multiplier onions as "Egyptian Onions", as that is their origin. This UK site: http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ca...rchterm=allium has "Onion, Potato" listed, but makes no mention of color. You might contact them (or other UK sites), as multipliers are quite common in western England.

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleJohn View Post
                              I was not referring to "Egyptian Walking Onion". They often refer to multiplier onions as "Egyptian Onions", as that is their origin. This UK site: http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk/ca...rchterm=allium has "Onion, Potato" listed, but makes no mention of color. You might contact them (or other UK sites), as multipliers are quite common in western England.
                              Thanks, SeattleJohn.

Comment

Working...
                              X