Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

which vegetables are the best to dehydrate?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which vegetables are the best to dehydrate?

Maybe I should also add which variety, too. Because some of them completely different although under the same vegetable name.
    1) I saw dried okra. It was very small type. Never tried by myself.
    2) I saw dried eggplant in a farmer market once. They were cut half and inside was taken off. To use only stuffed eggplant. Then get a thin string and needle, like making a necklace with beads, put them together, hang somewhere with good air circulation to dry out. I don't remeber how to hydrate, though. I think they should be put to water with salt for awhile.
    3) I think we all know about dried tomatoes, garlic and hot chilly peppers.
    What else can we dry? And some info about the process?
    Last edited by YorkerJenny; 07-19-2008, 03:34 PM.

I'm going to try okra several different ways. I may try eggplant too. Zucchini is such a 'wet veggie' I've heard that it dries up to a thin rind and isn't very good.

I've done onions and celery, and run them through my chopper. Throw a handful into whatever you are cooking. Combined with herbs, peppers and tomatoes, makes an interesting rub if ground fine.

I tended to over-dry at first...which was how I discovered the fine ground mixes, the veggies weren't much good for anything else...they were too tough.

I've had dehydrated watermelon and cantaloupe, but the flavor was a bit cloying...just too much of a good thing. I love apples, strawberries and blueberries mixed...pretty too.

Comment

Tomatoes are great.

Comment

I have dried onions. They are then easy to incorporate into many dishes when cooking.

Comment

I've dried about everything. The eggplants are great in pasta sauces! If you're interested in food drying, check out the Food Preservation page on my website, www.GeoPathfinder.com. You can see my post on the Solar Dryer thread on this forum also.
          I'm new to the forum, but look forward to sharing tips with fellow gardeners.

Comment

we've dried all the above and more!

dried cantelope and watermelon is a great candy substitute.

we also dry thin slices of cukes, garlic, and summer squash. sometimes adding herbs. they make nice chips for dipping or snacking or adding to a soup or stew.

broccoli and cabbage are great to dry too. when one rehydrates them, they taste like they were just picked out of the garden that day. very fresh!

plums, apples, and pears are great dehydrated for snacking or using later in a pie or jam or muffins, etc...

corn and peas and green beans can be dehydrated and later put in soups and stews or rehydrated in water for a veggie dish.

mushrooms are wonderful dehydrated and placed in soups and stews, too.

Comment

Originally posted by melody View Post
              Zucchini is such a 'wet veggie' I've heard that it dries up to a thin rind and isn't very good.
              Zucchini was our first vegetable to dry this year, with our new dehydrator.
              We grew Italian Largo (one of the kind with prominent colored ribs down the length of the squash).

They took about 12 hours at 125 degrees, but the results were great.

Now we're trying peaches. Not sure how dry they should be? They have a lot more water than apples, so would we take them down to a similar texture, i.e. run the dryer longer? But dried apricots from the store (closest fruit I can think of) are very moist and flexible (probably more sugar content & sulfur dioxide added).

Anyone have further experience to share -- about any veggies -- thanks.

Dick

Comment

I only have positive things to say about dried bananas, strawberries, pineapple, garlic, tomatoes (all types), Serrano and cayenne peppers.

Not thrilled about my results with cherries and ground cherries.

Comment

Working...
                X