X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding corn into flour--which mill?

I'm shopping for a grain mill that can grind whole corn into flour and also grind wheat berries. I don't care if it's manual or electric. I just want it to grind both well.

best mill I have used is the country living grain mill,

Comment

I saw that mill on Lehman's website. It was expensive. Does it grind corn well? How much can you grain before getting tired?

Comment

I was looking into grain mills and came across this review. Although not all steel like the country living mill, this one is German made and substantially less expensive. I have a lot of Indian corn in the carriage house and will likely get this one so I can turn the corn into some lovely cornmeal.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/08/...rain-mill.html
        Last edited by Hoosier Girl; 01-09-2013, 08:01 PM. Reason: Duplicate links

Comment

one easy to way to see of a gran mill works well is to try it, that is what I did with the one I have... not like it would hurt to have a few of them

Comment

Don't buy one of this design. Cast iron mill with stainless steel hopper.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...=31-69168184-2

First time I used it, I was thrilled. My corn meal was very coarsely ground as I like it. The next 5 times I tried, I couldn't get the tension right. My cornmeal ended up fortified in iron shavings.
            I could have bought 40 pounds of flour instead.

Comment

We use a Country Living mill and are very happy with it for corn and wheat. We grind by hand but I am in the process of building a version of the "Rodale Energy Cycle" to be able to operate it using pedal power. Your legs are stronger than your arms so you can grind more grain faster.

The mill greenfinger was warning you against is a version of the Corona mill that is used all over Central America for grinding corn. But there are lots of different manufacturers of that mill and some are less well made than others. No version of the corona mill will grind wheat into useable bread flour without resorting to a machine-shop modification.

As far as cost of mills go, cheaper mills will take longer to grind the same amount of flour at the same fineness setting. Pretty much the more you pay the happier you will be with the flour/meal you are making. Long-term durability also goes up with price-point. For us the Country Living was the obvious best "hand mill" for the money. The C.S. Bell and the Diamant are possibly better but were way beyond our available funds.

Grinding is hard physical work. It takes about 200 revolutions of the crank to grind a cup of flour at the fineness we like for breadmaking, so 700 or so revs for a one loaf bread recipe. That takes me about 7 - 10 minutes and you are definitely doing some aerobic exercise by the end of it.

Comment

It was expensive. Does it grind corn well? How much can you grain before getting tired?

---------------------
                testkingsite.com http://www.testkingsite.com
                leatherjackets.ws leatherjackets.ws
                summer motorcycle jacket summer motorcycle jacket
                70-243 questions 70-243 questions
                Last edited by mikky7; 12-20-2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

first, the forum will not let me have separate lines for this, hard to make things readable without formatting, ---- I could get enough wheat to make a loaf of bread before I got to tired, but that was only after I did it every other day for a few weeks, I had to work up to it, the first few weeks of doing it I just took a break half way through it. ---- corn is softer than wheat, and I have no problem getting a few cups for corn bread of the day, ---- you really don't want to be doing something like grinding all the grain for the week all at once anyway, it is better fresh. ---- I got mine back when they were $350 and looks like they are about $430 now http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/cou...ving_mill.aspx ---- http://www.amazon.com/Country-Living.../dp/B003UNNE3E ---- countrylivinggrainmills.com (will not load for me right now, but it is the page for the people that make them) ---- I ended up getting the big auger for grinding larger items, and it helps with corn and is a must for beans to grind fast ---- good electric mills are still under $300, but I don't trust electricity very much, and they tend to heat up the grain as they grind it, so they mess with the flavor in a way I don't like.

Comment

Working...
                  X